Monday, November 25, 2019

Scenic September: WarCry Terrain

Finally getting around to posting the pics for the other half of Azazel's September challenge. Again, mostly just a pic dump, as there isn't a whole lot to say about these. Sprayed black, then just heavily overbrushed, using a half-inch brush for the grey first, then a quarter-inch for most of the rest. The seasoned and cut timber is XV-88, while the fresher logs are Rhinox Hide (I think. Might have been Dryad Bark) for the bark, and Ushabti bone for the still-green inner wood. Some Typhus Corrosion and Skrag Brown for rust on the steel parts, the always wonderful Nihilakh Oxide on the bronze gratings, and then a bit of drybrushing to bring both of those back up.


Starting off with the bell tower, the coolest piece in the set. Again, these were shot before I switched back to my dark background again, and the high contrast made it hard to get great pics, but if you open the bigger versions, they should be a bit better. The stairs fit really nicely, staying in place well, but still easily removable to use elsewhere.



In retrospect, I probably should have done a "breakdown" pic of this one, too. It's actually four separate parts, each usable on their own in combination with various other parts of the set: The fallen statue, the stairs, the platform, and the "gate" on the end of the platform. Again, stays together very nicely during game play despite how easy it is to take apart and move around.



The various smaller pieces of the set. I don't have enough room in my lightbox to show the bridges actually in use. The log barricades really didn't photograph well here; the bronze sections are much clearer in person. If you look at the end parts of the little ruin, you'll see there are two different broken grating pieces. If you put them together facing each other, they're both distorted in the same direction, so you can set up a spot where something just busted right through and the broken parts all look right for it, like it really was one section originally.


The first of the larger buildings. It takes a lot of angles to show everything that's going on here.

The second larger section of ruins. I really like how that joining piece between the two halves works. It's just the right degree of broken down for the gap there. There's a third pic of this, but it's not uploading for some reason.


The final, and largest, section of ruins. I don't really have a good shot of the whole bunch of it together, but here's one from a game a while back. This was actually before I'd got it to the point it is in the rest of the pics, but it still looked pretty good at tabletop distance:

I'd like to do a little more with it, maybe do a super light drybrush with an off-white over everything, and there's a ton of sloppy spots that could use some touch-up, but it's more than good enough for casual use. As usual, I have a few more things currently going on, and hopefully I'll get some of them done and ready to post soon, but who knows how long it will actually be. Until then, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

11 comments:

  1. Nice looking terrain, though personally I think the platform atop the fallen head statue is the best piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's another really cool one. I think the bell tower gets the nod from me because I really like painting verdigrised bronze, and the bell was great for that. Also, it's the only inherently two-story piece in the set, which gives it some extra usefulness in games.

      Delete
  2. Cool scenery but if this was used in 40k would it have any effect? I.e. LoS blocking and cover. I really wish they had done those rules differently. Fine if you can house rule it but you are at the mercy of RaW in a tournament

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's decent Cover there, but not much in the way of LoS blocking. It's simply not as much of an issue in WarCry because there's so much less ranged damage.

      Delete
  3. That's some great terrain and nice painting. I remember the days of having to build your own terrain because GW didn't have any barring the odd piece here and there in game starter sets. Now it's everywhere and it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, we've come a long way from cardboard ruins and stuff made from the styrofoam inserts from Squad and Dreadnought boxes.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some nice terrain; I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I'm doing alright. Just had to take a blogosphere break for a while because of offline reasons, and I haven't got back into it.

      I had been wondering just the other day how Gabby was coming along. Unfortunate that it's on hold, but these things happen. I did just now pick up Forgotten Ones after taking a quick glance over your recent entries, and I look forward to digging into that.

      Thanks for checking in, and hopefully I'll be back in the 40K blogosphere at some point here. Have a good one!

      Delete