Thursday, May 12, 2016

Changing Sides

Still trying to work up the motivation to really get into fixing the Kytan. But I wanted to take some pics because I just got enough room cleared off to set up my new Light Box. It's a cheapo plastic one held together with velcro, theoretically collapsible, but looking at the creases in the plastic, I'm really not sure how many setups and takedowns it'll last, so I'm just leaving it up for now. As I've seen a couple of people note with others, the fact that there are only LEDs on the top creates kind of harsh lighting. I tried to use my swing-arm lamp to mitigate that, but I think I need to move it closer. I still like the results better than what I was getting just on the table tho.

I made a Land Speeder Storm, and took all the dudes who are normally hanging off the side and made them into a Scout Squad, filling them out with a conversion based on an old metal Heavy Bolter scout who was missing his weapon.

That's the dude who's normally loading his Bolter on the back seat. I swapped him up to Gunner on the Speeder because I wanted to use the normal Gunner on a base, where his cool kneeling pose would be more noticeable.

The Squad as a whole, and a rear shot of the Sarge, showing off his Combi-Grav. The one dude got some walls on his base because I needed something to justify his super-crouched pose. I chose to keep them on 25mm Bases both since GW hasn't actually switched Scouts over, last I checked, and because it magnifies the size difference between them and the full Marines in Power Armour.


A few more shots of my favorite one, converted from the Speeder's Gunner. Didn't come out great because I moved in closer to get a better position for a single Model, but didn't have anything there to brace my hands on.
And these guys were sitting around, so I tossed them in as well. Gue'vesa Kroot Counts-As for my Tau Army, converted from some Catachans I got for a song and Kroot Rifles I picked up at a bitz swap. I'm not really a huge fan of the Fire Warrior and Kroot Models, so I'm doing Human Auxiliaries for those Roles instead. Got some Cadians converted up to count as Fire Warriors too, but they're already primed, so they won't photograph well until I get them painted.

Hopefully either progress on the Kytan or something painted next time. Until then, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

6 comments:

  1. Yes! Looking good dude! Do you have a macro mode on your camera? That should help with any close ups :)

    I was thinking about the Kytan, it might work to hang it upside down and then gently warm the legs with a hair dryer and let gravity correct it? Might work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were actually done with the macro mode on. Pretty sure the issue is not having anywhere to brace my shaky hands. Gonna work on changing up my setup both to fix that and to get a better angle for the secondary light so the shadows aren't so harsh.

      I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but just relying on the outdoor heat on my balcony, like caused the issue in the first place, since I don't have a hair dryer (or hair, for that matter :P ). But I've gone with breaking bits off, because that will let me fix the weird angles that the legs were joined to the hips at, too.

      Delete
  2. I love the Landspeeder Storm, one of the real undervalued units in the marine codex I think. They are great in maelstrom missions and many people forget they have a large blast blind weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had them used against me very effectively in the past. Looking forward to getting it on the table.

      Delete
  3. The HiveMind is bemused. Do you bring food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. The LS Storm is for fast delivery. Open Topped, so it's basically a flying buffet :D

      Delete