Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Dreadtober Complete!

I think this might be a record for me. Not the completion, but actually posting my results before the end of the month! Anyhow, let's take a look at the actual Dreadnought first:
Oops, just noticed there were some more areas down underneath, like the pistons, that I forgot to go back and black out again. I'll get to it eventually, and it's not particularly noticeable in use.



The blue-green is Thousand Sons blue, with a rough highlight of Ahriman blue, and then a very heavy, splotchy wash/glaze with Army Painter green tone. It's a pretty cool effect in person, there's a subtle sort of camo pattern vibe, and from different angles and in different light, it looks more blue or more green. I went back over everything (at least theoretically) that wasn't an armour plate in black, and then gave all those areas a very light drybrushing with Stegadon Scale, just enough to make the detail visible, but not so much that the highlights themselves were visible. I use no metallic paints on my Sigma Chapter, doing everything that would normally be metallic in black like this instead. They're all about covert ops and such (Raven Guard Chapter Tactics), and don't want any gleam to give their positions away, so any metal surfaces are painted over or blued.

The lights are Nihilakh Oxide over white, a trick I picked up from Warboss Kurgan, and the rockets are light blue to indicate that they're anti-air (Anti-tank get white tips, anti-infantry get red). Simple drybrush up through the blues for the glow on the Plasma containment coils and a few more details picked out, and it's done!

I moved the Icarus Launcher over to the side because I like that look, sort of reminiscent of a lot of BattleTech stuff. Just a big wad of greenstuff filling in the gap. The launcher is magnetized, since the option to leave it off happened shortly after I'd finished the build here, and will almost never actually be used, since it kind of sucks.

The only other magnetized point is the waist. The legs are fixed in position, but the elbows and shoulders can rotate, and hold their positions well just through friction. I haven't painted the bits up yet, but I have the parts for the other weapon options as well, and those can also swap in just as pressure-fits.

A better look at the base, and another I did in the same style. You can see how the various spots of washes I dribbled over them have been mostly covered up by the successive layers of drybrushing, but still show through enough* to add some more variety to what would otherwise just be flat pavement.
The Armiger Helverin was done in my House Devine scheme, to add some support to my Renegade Knight from the summer. The whole thing was given a very heavy drybrush of Leadbelcher over the black primer, and then the major areas filled in with Balthasar Gold (highlighted with Gehenna's Gold), Xereus Purple, and Skullcrusher Brass.



The head and what's usually a hatch up top got done in Rakarth Flesh, which I half-assedly tried to blend into the mechanical parts around them, like the ceramite and whatnot is gradually morphing into daemonic flesh. Again, as with the full-sized Knight, I did an eye in the little window on the hatch. I left the Mechanicum/Mechanicus symbol on there because I figure that the Dark Mechanicum Techno-Magi who maintain these things consider themselves to be the true Mechanicum still, while it is the Adeptus Mechanicus who have lost their way.

No magnets whatsoever on the one, but it's still poseable, and completely swappable if a reasonably priced option for different arms becomes available. The waist joint gets some poster stick to hold it together, but the arms, carapace gun, and head are all just pressure fit, and hold perfectly.




I like to try to mess with bases that are this big, do something so they're not just a flat expanse, so this one got a chunk of insulation foam cut at an odd angle and trimmed to fit before I added on my usual basing stuff. I maybe should have made it a bit craggier, but it still fits well enough with the basing on its larger sibling.

I've got some stuff for Azazel's Unit-ed October to finish up this evening and take pics of, hoping to have those up sometime in the next couple of days. Until then, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

*That word combination is a pretty effective demonstration of how fucked up the English language is.

14 comments:

  1. Haha, its great when you post pictures on the internet and when you look at them you go, 'oh shit, I missed a bit!'. I take WIP pictures sometimes just to bring out my mental blind spots. They turned out great though, the Helverin especially is an evil looking bugger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how menacing it came out.

      And yeah. As best I can figure out, after I touched up the rim of the base, I set it aside, and kind of just...forgot to go back to it and do the legs while I was working on blacking in all the appropriate parts of the top section.

      Delete
    2. As they say: The camera adds 10lbs to people, and 10 mistakes to minis.

      Delete
  2. Love the sinister Helverin, and good job on the colour of the Dread. More off the to-do pile! Great work mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. I really like the moved launcher on the Dread and the color - it's different without being jarring.

    Also, you can never go wrong with purple and gold. Great idea on the base there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, purple and gold is a classic, has been for ages. Every time I'm using the scheme, I think of the bit from The Destruction of Sennacharib about "Cohorts...gleaming in purple and gold."

      Delete
  4. "Just a big wad of greenstuff filling in the gap." Aha! I see your greenstuff skills are on par with mine...

    lol, I hate using greenstuff, but anyways the Dread & knights are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emphasis on "big". Take a look at the spot where the Icarus Launcher normally goes on a Redemptor. Good thing I had a bunch of cheap crappy gs around.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being familiar with the model, it took me a few passes thru the pics to figure out where the launcher is supposed to go. So, I'd say mission accomplished!

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on both of this pair! I really like that blue-green, though I've fallen in love with metallics for my Astartes in the last couple of years, so I kinda want to make (almost) every chapter and legion metallic! The Redemptor looks nicely worn, and I'll also be magnetising the rocket pod. When I get around to building the thing(!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went through my metallic power armour phase back in the 90s (still actually have those paints, and they're still good. GW doesn't make paint pots like they used to.), now I guess I've swinging to the opposite.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I've always done my PA in solid colours, and it's only recently that I've started to really appreciate the metallic looks. As long as I can keep them looking unique and different to one another, it's something I'll definitely be continuing to do.

      Delete