First off, we have Spiteclaw himself. I just noticed that I didn't actually get a good shot of the rust on his halberd blade, and I kind of wish I'd done a better one of his base, too. I used different washes on the different sections of his cloak, to try to show that it's been pieced together and repaired with cloth that didn't quite match the main colour. The buttspike on his halberd is the blade that normally goes on the Festerin Skaven's tail knife.
Like Skritch, Krrk has red as his main colour, to indicate them coming from a Warlord Clan. Since the others have characteristics of Pestilens, Moulder, and Eshin, I thought I'd do the band as a sort of microcosm of Skaven culture. I am a bit disappointed that none of them really fit Clan Skryre, tho, since they're my faves. The blade of his halberd broke at some point, and I couldn't find the other part to fix it, so I replaced it with the end of an old Clanrat spear.
|Similarly to Skritch, I used different washes to indicate poorly matched dye/paint lots|
|I love his little rat buddies.|
The Festering Skaven is the only one to not have at least one little rat with him, which is a bit of a bummer. I went for Pestilens-type greens here, again with variation in the washes. The blade of his tail knife has been replaced with the remaining part of Krrk's broken halberd, and I added more Nurgle's Rot to the base than with the others. He's also the only one to have Nurgle's Rot actually on him, and has used something totally gross to poison his weapons.
|Hope you've had all your shots if you get stabbed by this guy|
|Could use another coat or two of gloss brown ink on the "water" down there|
Next up, we have some of the Champions from Silver Tower. I showed the Mistweaver Saih earlier, I didn't finish the Tenebrael Shard, and I don't even know where the Doomseeker is, and don't really care, since I don't like the Fyreslayer Models much. I have better Dwarf Models to use for him if desired, with proper armour. Because these were all Models that I thought I might actually use in AoS, they got my generic Army basing rather than the flat blue on the Mistweaver.
On to some examples of the other side of the set! I actually have all the Horrors done, but the ones not pictured here were done back when the set first came out, and this post is only for the stuff I finished in September.
I like to mix metallic and "normal" colours on my Daemons. It started with my Khorne stuff, which is heavily bio-mechanical, and then I extended it into my Tzeentch Daemons. If I ever run them in AoS, they're totally going to be using the Chamon Realm traits and relics and whatnot. Pretty simple paint jobs for the most part. The big thing to mention is probably that I used Soulstone Blue for all the gems. They don't really look like gems, but they do look cool, which is the important part. Also, again, looking at them now, I see I missed something, in the case highlighting the feathers hanging from one of its wrists.
The Blue Horrors are pretty much inverted from the Pinks. Where one has gold, the other has silver. Where one has pink, the other has blue. For the most part. The gems are red instead of pink, because I don't have a pink gel paint, and I kept the daggers with gold handles and silver blades, but other than that. The one with the dagger is also the one where it's most noticeable that I added some 'Ardcoat on the tongues.
|I didn't notice while shooting or processing the pics, but when they're together like this, they look like some sort of Scooby Doo style chase scene, where who's chasing whom switches randomly.|
Something about the flash on my camera sort of goes through the ink on it. In person, the red and blue areas are more like different shades of purple than being clearly red and blue.
I tried to use an ink to tint the clear front part, like there's some sort of preservative or stasis field on in the chamber. It was, as with a number of my recent experiments, sort of successful. I've done something similar before, but on flat surfaces, where I could leave each section in turn level as the ink dried on it. The curved surface made that impossible, and my various attempts at evening it out still ended up with some overly-sharp transitions. My first attempt actually went way too dark, and I scratched it up pretty badly, but fortunately, I have two of these, and had been planning on doing the other one with the "glass" broken anyhow, so I just swapped them.
Welp, that's it for today. Congratulations if you made it this far, thanks for reading, and until next time, y'all have a good one, y'hear!