Friday, July 6, 2018

Rust and Ruin in the Underhive

Just a quick post on how I did the rust and grime on the Necromunda barricades. I have chosen to assume that the paint used on Underhive structures has some serious protective properties, so my starting point was to keep the rust, corrosion, and accumulated grime near the areas where the barricades have been shot up or chopped apart. I also went with the association that there are some seriously nasty corrosives and such just sort of generally around the environment down there, so when that protective paint gets taken off, the resulting effects are pretty extreme.

To this end, I wanted to get some major texture on there, so I started by blobbing on some very heavy dollops of Martian Ironcrust, Ryza Rust, and Stirland Battlemire. I tried to mix them up, so any larger area would have some of each, because rust patterns are rarely super consistent.
This gave some nice texture, but was way too bright, so I ran Typhus Corrosion over all of those splotches. It lets a little of the original colour come through, but tones it down so it's not eye-searing.
But now it's kind of boring. So I went back in with a selection of reds, oranges, and browns, and stippled them all over the rusted areas to bring out the texture and get some more visual interest back in, without going day-glo like the Ryza Rust is on its own.
This shows the progression of colours I used. I started with the Khorne red over on the far right, and then added on some Jokaero Orange, Cadian Fleshtone, Mournfang Brown, and then finished them off with Skrag Brown, which is actually a pretty good rust colour in and of itself if you want something simpler. 

I included the Cadian Fleshtone after reading some stuff by Cavalier over at Frontline Gaming. He pointed out that it's actually a kind of weird pastel orange, and showed it as the final highlight on the red on his Dark Eldar vehicles. I figured I'd give it a try here, and was really happy with how it came out.

So yeah, remember, don't be afraid to try out new stuff and experiment with no fixed destination, and until next time, y'all have a good one, y'hear!



10 comments:

  1. Nice work! Your technique looks really effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took longer than I would have liked, but I'm really happy with the final effect.

      Delete
  2. I might have to give Typhus another go. My experiments weren't as successful as yours but I was mincing around, dabbing it on. Looks like you have to get medieval. Not tried Ryza though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most of the textured paints require really slapping a bunch of it on there to get the effect right.

      Still not sure how I feel about Ryza Rust. It's just stupidly bright, doesn't look like rust at all without putting something else over it.

      Delete
  3. Looking good mate, the texturing has really paid off.
    Might I suggest a wash of Earthshade over the grey to tie in the painted areas with the rusted bits? I think it will add more depth to the painted areas and bring out the detailing more for very minimal effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, they do need some sort of wash. I'm kind of vaguely planning to hit some sort of critical mass of terrain and then lay down a tarp and spend an afternoon going through an entire bottle of Quickshade or something.

      Delete
  4. Nice work - that's some damned heavy rust! I might do some of the same when I paint my Necromunda Bulkheads. I cleaned them off, sprayed them, then seem to have misplaced them sometime after the spraying of black...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got kind of carried away. But like I said, the Underhive is presented as being a pretty nasty environment, so I'm OK with it.

      Delete
  5. They look great. Guess I missed then before I did my rust work, but I see you did a lot of the same stuff, only you played with more colors. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, same general principle. I doubt I'll often go this far with it, but I kind of wanted to experiment with more or less all the paints I could think of that might be good.

      Delete