Wednesday, April 10, 2019

First Quarter Painting Progress

One of my goals for 2019 is to keep track of my hobby productivity. I am only counting finished Models here, not partial work that didn't result in finishing something, but on the flipside, I'm counting anything finished during this time period, regardless of when I started it or how much was done beforehand. As of March 31, I had completed so far in 2019 the following:

1 Inquisitor Daemon Huntress
3 Shadespire Terrain Pieces
1 Tenebrael Shard
4 Glitchlings
3 Vox-Shamblers
4 Nightmare Hulks
10 Neophyte Hybrids
1 Acolyte Hybrid
3 Ur-Ghuls
3 Spindle Drones
4 Chests
7 Dino Tokens
4 40K Civilians
7 Sections of Ryza Pattern Ruin
55 total painted

On the other hand, during the same period, I purchased the following:
6 Atalan Jackals
1 Ridgerunner
1 Clamavus
1 Noise Marine
4 Manufactorum Kit*
4 Fragdrill Kit*
5 Hybrid Acolytes
4 Mollog's Mob
9 UW Moon Clan
6 Eyes of the Nine
6 Godsworn Hunt
47 total purchased

*I'm counting each of these kits as 4, sort of arbitrarily on the basis of roughly how much painting the terrain in the box is probably going to take. I keep my Sector Mechanicus/Imperialis Terrain modular enough that it's not really possible to come up with a more specific number of "Models" I'm getting from each box that's also reasonably useful for purposes of tracking like this.

Net improvement of 8 Models. Less than ideal, but better than I expected. I think I'm going to see if I can manage double digit improvement over the next three months (well, 2 1/2 now) until the end of June. Things are pretty hectic here still, but I am plugging away when I get the chance, and hopefully I'll have something to show off before too much longer. Until next time, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

Monday, April 8, 2019

Awesome Kickstarters

I joined in on the first Heresy Girls Kickstarter, and am incredibly happy with the Models I got from it. Even if I haven't actually got around to painting any of them yet. But the casts were fantastic, they were very close to the  original designs, and the operator was great about communicating when the project hit some snags. The second one looks even better.

The second one, I don't have any experience with the people doing the actual casting, but they have a good track record, and the designs are done by Ana Polanscak, best known through her blog, Gardens of Hecate. For those who aren't familiar with her work, she has an amazing imagination, and a wonderful sculpting style for all sorts of creepy-cool little daemons and creatures. I got distracted and didn't get this up as early as I meant to, so there are only three days left in this KS, but it is fully funded.

I highly encourage all y'all to go check both of those projects out. Until next time, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Models of Indeterminate Gender

Getting this up a bit late, but things are hectic as I'm in the process of moving. These are my Models completed during March for Azael's Squad: March! + Gender-Ambiguous Model Painting Challenge. I didn't think I had anything for Squad March, but when I checked the post again, I found that three was enough, so I actually have two "Squads" done by the challenge's definition, even if they really aren't the sort of things that would be organized into "squads" as such.
 First up, we've got an Acolyte Hybrid from the Cult of the Emperor's Embrace. I had a Squad of five I was working on, but only the one got finished. As I've mentioned before, the harsh lighting does somewhat odd things to the effects of gloss inks glazed over strong colours, so it doesn't look quite like this in person, but it looks cool either way.

Next up, we've got some Ur-Ghuls from Blackstone Fortress. I have the fourth one done, and I think I actually posted it at some point, but it's packed away right now, so I only have the three here. Very simple paint jobs, just working up through a couple of the lighter greys and then some targeted glazes of red and purple. The basing is going to eventually get the little glowing lines and stuff, but I can't deal with that right now, so this seemed like a reasonable "getting by for now" solution.

Last, but not least, we've got a trio of Spindle Drones. Like the Ur-Ghuls, the fourth is packed away somewhere right now. These are arguably even simpler, the same greys, and then a couple of dots of gemstone paints on lenses or sensors. I kind of wish I'd thought to do them in the same glossy black as the bases, to really reinforce that they are, in a very literal sense, part of the Blackstone Fortress itself, but I didn't think of it until I was mostly done. Also, they might be kind of hard to see on the board if I did that.

Beep Boop!
As I mentioned at the top, things are pretty hectic right now with the move (until my brother comes by to help haul some of this stuff out of here, I can't use my stove, and have to choose between being able to open the front door or being able to open the fridge), so I'm not going to be hobbying or posting much during April, but I do hope to get at least one Blight Hauler or Predator done for Azazel's Armoured April challenge, and I might manage some Army shots of old stuff as I'm sorting through it all. Until next time, whenever that may be, y'all have a good one, y'hear!