Wednesday, January 9, 2019

All Things Gross and Gribbly

Well, not all of them, but this is most of the little gribblies from Rogue Trader. The Cursemites, Eyestinger Swarms, and Sludge-Grubs.I'm going to put all the pics of them under a cut, because some of them are, if I do say so myself, pretty damn gross, and I don't want to inflict them on anyone without fair warning.
OK, for those of you still with us, here are the Cursemites first. I was trying to get a bit of an iridescent effect by lightly drybrushing purple and green over black from different directions, followed by a bunch of coats of Nuln Oil Gloss, and some old glossy purple and green inks I have. The areas of broken carapace were done in Averland Sunset, and the BftBG over the top of that. It's a great gross effect that I use on Plaguebearer innards and such all the time.
click to embiggen
Next up, the Eyestinger Swarms. These started out basically the same as the Cursemites, but then I got my hands on some colour-shift paint, and decided to try that out. I've got some pics both before and after, but I did add one more coat of Nuln Oil Gloss after taking the last of these. First, the pics when they were done like the Cursemites.
click to embiggen

Pretty cool. But check this out:
click to embiggen




Now, you can't really get the full effect of a colourshift paint in a photo, but they're pretty awesome like this, and even more so in person. I considered doing the Cursemites as well, but decided I wanted the two types to look more different, and I kind of like the mostly glossy black look on the Mites.

Last, but not least, we've got the Sludge-Grubs. These were mostly done with that old high gloss green ink I mentioned earlier, with some details picked out in Nurgle's Rot, BftBG, and some sort of bone-coloured off-white, I don't recall exactly which. Again, the translucent paints make for some effects that don't come across as well in photos, but I think they still look pretty cool here.
click to embiggen

click to embiggen
I finished my first Model of 2019 earlier this evening, and I'll get some pics of that and some Shadespire Terrain I've been working on soon. Until then, y'all have a good one, y'hear!

12 comments:

  1. They look great mate.
    I love the creepy gloss effect that you've achieved....you definitely don't want them anywhere near you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those old GW inks (from around the turn of the century) are totally crap as washes, but they're awesome for certain special effects, especially on gross Nurgle stuff.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely, grossly done! That color shift paint is pretty impressive. I've seen quite a few painters playing with it lately. The applications seems endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is cool stuff. A buddy of mine got the full set, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how his Eyes of the Nine turned out with him using them all over the place.

      Delete
  3. Wow, these are awesome! I hope you don't mind that I'm now likely going to have to rip your idea on how you've painted these little critters off and finally break out my GSW Colourshift paints for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Rip away! I know the classic phrasing is "imitation", but I've always felt it worked better as "inspiration is the sincerest form of flattery."

      Delete
    2. I'm shameless enough to go with "ripping off entirely." Which I've just done with one of Thomas' posts. Should have the stuff I ripped off from him posted up in a couple of days. ;)

      Delete
    3. Ha! I look forward to seeing it!

      Delete
  4. Wow these are so cool! Really like the tones you got with the colour shift pain, it works very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. I've got some colorshift paint sitting on a shelf ready to use but I seem to have lost my mojo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd noticed you haven't been posting much for a while. Here's hoping your mojo returns soon!

      Delete